About Me

My photo
My name is Courtney. I am a Substance Abuse Therapist training to be a Mental Health Counselor. I desire to possess a sense of wonder each day. Join me.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Being a Young-Adult is Awkward.

I'm not really into labels.
At dinner tonight, the topic of "Emerging Adulthood" was brought up.
I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Developmental psychologists typically categorize the stages of life as: infancy, early childhood, late childhood, adolescence, adulthood, middle adulthood, old age

In the past decade, Emerging/early adulthood has been a proposed new stage to follow adolescence.

I remember reading in college about the development of the adolescent period. If I am recalling correctly, It began after the industrial revolution when more emphasis was placed on education for those in late childhood. A gap of time began to grow between childhood and kids going into full-time work (farms, factories, trades ect).

And now, apparently, the gap between adolescence and adulthood is growing. Many believe that society and economy trends are influencing this shift.

Emerging adulthood is evidenced by: increasing amount of education needed for employment, later  marriage ages, childlessness, not owning a home, unstable income, continued dependence on parents, growing debt.....

How should I feel about being in this so-called demographic?

Most of the time, being a young adult does feel awkward.

I'm trying to figure out a zillion different things and learning to be independent financially and so on..

Some of us are single, some of us are married, some are still in school, some work full-time, some are job searching, some live at home, some in apartments.....Oh, and it seems that the vast majority of young-adult social events involve alcohol.
Is this to take away some of the awkwardness?

Many days I feel like I am just attempting to play the role of 'adult'.
How about you? What things do you think 'make' you an adult?

I relation, we were reminded in church today through the story of Ruth, that roles are not one's highest calling. Our highest calling and purpose comes from our creator God.

Thank goodness.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/whole-life/features/25956-11-things-to-know-at-25ish

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, feel you. yesterday i had a patient ask me, "are you a real nurse?"

    "...yes"

    "hmm. alright."

    he didn't say it but his facial expressions screamed YOU LOOK LIKE A KID. we is we is.

    ReplyDelete