About Me

My photo
My name is Courtney. I am a Substance Abuse Therapist training to be a Mental Health Counselor. I desire to possess a sense of wonder each day. Join me.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

A tattoo Story

I am a pretty conservative gal, but getting a tattoo has been something on my mind for almost a year.

I always wanted something simple, personal, and likely in Hebrew (I have a big interest in this Biblical language; studied it a bit during college).

I got one! Here's how it happened:

Stephanie came over last night "just to hang out".
We sat around, talked, and shared pinterest findings. 
Around 9:50pm I asked her if she wanted to watch a movie. 
She said, "Um, no, I think we should go get you your tattoo" (I had been talking about it for the past three months).

So, in literally five minutes I made the decision to follow through (so unlike me). We had to go to the only area shop (Pure Addictions; how ironic for me) still open after 10pm! 

On the ride over, I called Emilie and Logan to get their 'approval' and then I called my mother who did not have much of an opinion either way.

My tattoo artist was really chill and funny. He actually officiated the wedding for Stephanie's cousin a few weeks ago :) It really is a small world...

The process did not take long at all. He was shocked that this was my first tattoo, because I handled it "so well".


I've known that I would want the Hebrew word Chesed for a tattoo. 
This word is beautiful and complex. 
It is not easily translated into English, but here are some shots at defining it:


- describes a mutual relationship between man and between God
- loyalty, kindness, unchanging love, mercy

 I decided to get it in place that is visible for me. 
A glance at it should remind me of my covenant with God.

If I need to, I will be able to cover it up with a watch, bracelets...but really, in the addiction/counseling field EVERYone has tattoos, so I won't have to worry about fitting in :)


I did it; I can't believe that this is on my wrist..but I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment