About Me

My photo
My name is Courtney. I am a Substance Abuse Therapist training to be a Mental Health Counselor. I desire to possess a sense of wonder each day. Join me.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Tulip Time

It is tulip time!

Tulip Time is a seasonal rite-of-passage for west michiganders.
It signifies that we have made it through the winter...finally
..now we can experience pretty flowers, fast rains and refreshing breezes.

Tulip Time also celebrates the dutch heritage of many people who live in the area. Holland was settled in the late 1840s by Dutch Calvinist immigrants seeking religious freedom. A Reverend led the founding of the city and also Hope College. To this day, religion (I live within feet of the street in the Guinness book of World Records for number of churches) and tradition are VERY important in these parts.

It's been a number of years, but as a little girl I had the privilege of being dressed up in traditional dutch costume for tulip time festivities. My neighbor is a first-generation dutch American...he wears wooden shoes when he does yard work and gives out nasty black licorice (in my opinion).

If you get a chance, check out downtown Holland, MI it is a treat (although I'm a bit culturally biased :)

Do you participate in any cultural traditions or celebrations?

1 comment:

  1. girl, steal all those tulips and bring them to my wedding :)

    cannot WAIT for you to get down here. miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete