About Me

My photo
My name is Courtney. I am a Substance Abuse Therapist training to be a Mental Health Counselor. I desire to possess a sense of wonder each day. Join me.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

look to nature

Yesterday the guys and I were discussing how to prevent relapses.

This included talk about coping skills, self-care and nourishment.

Most agreed that you can't really face life's big challenges well (e.g. recovery), when you have not taken very good care of yourself.

Self-care practices are often the best forms of preventative medicine.

I led the guys through an activity to identify what little, practical  things help them feel most nourished and alive.

I noticed that so many identified self-care items that were relational and also nature-connected. Not such a big surprise, right?



It reminded me of what we learned about on Sunday....

What is Jesus' advice when we are faced with worry?
Jesus tells us to look to nature.

 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[? (Matt 6:26-27)

The vast natural world reminds us that we are not in control, and that is a beautiful thing!
Nature has a way of grounding us and filling us up.


I know that everything is spiritual, but it is such a gift when I am CLEARLY aware of the overlap of my work, school, church, and personal 'lives'!

No comments:

Post a Comment