About Me

My photo
My name is Courtney. I am a Substance Abuse Therapist training to be a Mental Health Counselor. I desire to possess a sense of wonder each day. Join me.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Empower



I read about the Self Defense training offered by WAR on Facebook. I decided that it would be a great opportunity for me to learn some helpful things.

I asked my sister, mom,  and friend to attend with me and was turned down :(

So, I turned to my favorite 11 year-old sidekick: Karissa.

I was worried that the three hour training would be too scary and intense for her, but it wasn't.
The girl LOVED it!

The One Light Self-Defense team taught us very practical tips, two types of hits, two types of kicks and a series of ways to get out of specific situations (hair pulling, chocking etc.).

The event was very empowering. I loved being a part of a big group of diverse women: moms, daughters, grandmas, college students.

The training group is based out of Chicago and travels to schools, churches, agencies and African Villages putting on this class. It is their ministry. They only ask participants to donate what they can to the host site. So cool!

The event gave me a lot to think about and some nicely sore muscles to cope with the next morning.

...........................................................................................................................................
The One Light Self-Defense team began as diversified individuals who shared a common interest, as well as experience, in self-defense training. Traveling to the poorest slums in Nairobi, Kenya, where girls face daily physical attacks, the team presented simple self-defense techniques which empowered the girls physically, mentally, and emotionally.

While women in our own communities do not confront these extreme situations on a regular basis, all women are still potential victims. Our goal emphasizes a holistic approach in preparing women to avoid, face, or heal from physical violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment