About Me

My photo
My name is Courtney. I am a Substance Abuse Therapist training to be a Mental Health Counselor. I desire to possess a sense of wonder each day. Join me.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hebrew

I studied Biblical Hebrew for a year in college.
I am 'into' words. Ever since participating in teachings with Ray Vander Laan and Mars Hill Students I have been particularly interested in this ancient text and the traditions of the Hebrew people. I am fascinated by this beautiful language and the complex meanings that these words hold in comparison to our modern English. I hope and plan to continue learning Biblical Hebrew, because like so many things it is a life-long study.

I was super intrigued to find these Ketubah's by Naomi Broudo featured on poppytalk this week. Ketubah's are Hebraic prenuptial agreement documents. Traditionally, they are beautiful pieces of art that are predominately displayed in the home as a daily reminder of the wedding vows. I really like that they include personal details, family names and witnesses.


You don't have to be Jewish to have a Ketubah made to symbolize your marriage. Although, I do not have any current plans of getting married anytime soon (bummer because these pretty ones are on sale); I think Ketubah documents are neat! I also like the Jewish Wedding tradition of Yichud: the bride and groom sneak away for some private peace and quiet (about 10 min or so) immediately after the ceremony. I can imagine this would be special and refreshing, because the day is sure to be so full and busy of guests and celebration.

In relation, my Aunt in Uncle are in Israel this week! I am playing 'little mom' for their four children while they are touring the Holy Land.

Oh, and also on Poppytalk...I plan on making this pizza next week!

Grace and Peace be with you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment